Coming in 2015
The Jim Henson Exhibition and Gallery
Jim Henson’s playful, endearing, gently subversive personality could be felt in all of the film and television work he created. Opening in 2015, Jim Henson: The Exhibition will be a dynamic new visitor experience exploring Henson’s transformative impact on popular culture. This comprehensive exhibition will feature a selection from the Museum’s collection of nearly 500 objects related to Jim Henson’s unparalleled career, including historic puppets, costumes, production design material, and licensed merchandise. These objects, donated to the Museum by Henson’s family, will be featured along with character sketches, storyboards, scripts, behind-the-scenes footage, and interactive experiences highlighting Henson's immense contributions to the art and industry of the moving image.
Henson’s unique body of work continues to delight and inspire people around the world. His creations include the enduringly popular puppet characters of Sesame Street, The Muppet Show, and Muppet films, which established his characters as international superstars; and the fantastical worlds of Fraggle Rock, The Dark Crystal, and Labyrinth. The exhibition will explore how Henson achieved this remarkable success by working with a team of dedicated puppet builders, designers, performers, and writers who shared his restless curiosity, spirit of experimentation, and commitment to creative collaboration.
In addition to the permanent gallery, the Museum will explore Henson’s career and legacy through education programs, live appearances, family workshops, film screenings, and a traveling version of the exhibition, which will launch in 2016.
• More than 25 puppets including Kermit the Frog, Miss Piggy, Elmo, Ernie, Bert, Count von Count, Gobo Fraggle, the Swedish Chef, and Statler and Waldorf
• Interactive experiences that allow visitors to dive into Henson’s creative process
• Jim Henson's sketches, storyboards, and scripts from The Jim Henson Company Archive
• Rare behind-the-scenes footage of Henson and his collaborators
Why we need your support
The City of New York has generously dedicated capital funds for the project. The Museum has raised over $4 million of its $6 million goal for the creation of this permanent home showcasing Jim Henson’s extraordinary contributions to film and television, which will allow millions of visitors to discover Henson’s unbridled imagination, wit, and capacity for creative innovation. We ask you to please add your support to this exciting project.
Your gift will help:
• Restore more than 200 original puppets
• Inspire more than 50,000 students to create, dream big, and invent new worlds
• Enrich the lives of more than 200,000 visitors per year
• Enable the Museum to develop a range of exciting and imaginative public programs
• Provide the public from all over the globe with access to an incredible treasure trove of moving image history
• Preserve and build on the legacy of Jim Henson
To make a donation, click here.