STREET FAIR AND CELEBRATION
New York on Location
Museum of the Moving Image, Theatrical Teamsters Local 817, and Kaufman Astoria Studios will present New York on Location, a day-long, free family-friendly outdoor event that offers a behind-the-scenes look at film production in New York. The public will have the rare opportunity to go inside 20+ working movie trailers and trucks—straight from productions shooting in New York—and speak directly with movie professionals about what they do on set. Trucks will include star dressing rooms, electrical, grip, prop, camera, hair and makeup, wardrobe, special effects trucks, and more. Key film craftspeople will demonstrate and explain firsthand their roles in the moviemaking process and how they got there. In addition, stunt professionals will present high falls, street fighting, stunt driving, and more. Food will be available from movie catering trucks.
More information about Stunts and Special Effects at New York on Location
• Makeup artists and hair stylists demonstrating applications for everything from a glamour look to cuts and bruises
• A look inside a camera car, a rigged vehicle that supports the filming of scenes set in cars
• Starstruck Catering and treat trucks, the specialized trucks that provide Friday “treats” to those working on movie sets, serving food for purchase to the public; vendors will include Papaya King, Jiannetto’s Pizza & Catering, Fun Buns NYC, Brooklyn Popcorn, and Andy's Italian Ice and Espresso Bar
• A deluxe star dressing room, known in the industry as a “triple pop-out” trailer
• Honey wagons, a.k.a. the restrooms to the stars, available for the public to use
New York on Location will take place in the new gated backlot at Kaufman Astoria Studios (current home to Orange Is the New Black, Nurse Jackie, Sesame Street, and other productions), at the Museum, and on surrounding streets. The Museum will be free all day and invites visitors to explore Behind the Screen, its dynamic core exhibition on how film and television shows are made, marketed, and shown.
New York on Location is sponsored by AirbnbNYC, I.A.T.S.E.(International Alliance of Theatrical Stage Employees), NYCB Foundation, “Manhattan Love Story” from ABC Studios, CBS Corporation, Comcast NBCUniversal, HBO, Motion Picture Association of America, Inc., Paramount/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Richmond County Savings Foundation, and Sony Pictures Entertainment; with Variety, Yelp and Queens Courier as media sponsors.
Address: Kaufman Astoria Studios backlot (36 Street, between 34 and 35 Ave), Museum of the Moving Image (36-01 35 Avenue), and surrounding streets in Astoria, NY 11106